Moving Contract | Bill Of Lading | Moving Terminology | Florida Moving Systems, Inc.
Bill of LadingHere at Florida Moving Systems, Inc., we are required by law to prepare a bill of lading for your shipment. The bill of lading is the contract between you and us (The Mover) for the transportation of your shipment. The information on a bill of lading is required to be the same information shown on the order for service. The driver who loads your shipment must give you a copy of the bill of lading before or at the time of loading your shipment. The bill of lading is an important document: do not lose or misplace your copy. Have it available until your shipment is delivered, all charges are paid, and all claims, if any, are settled.
IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO READ THE BILL OF LADING BEFORE YOU ACCEPT IT
The bill of lading requires us here at Florida Moving Systems, Inc. to provide the service you requested and requires you to pay the charges for the service. it is your responsibility to understand the bill of lading before you sign it. If you do not agree with something on the bill of lading, do not sign it until you are satisfied it is correct.
The bill of lading serves to identify the mover and specifies when the transportation is to be performed. Be sure that the portions of the bill of lading that note the dates when pickup and delivery are to be performed are completed and that you agree with the dates. It also specifies the terms and conditions of payment of the total charges and the maximum amount required to be paid at the time of delivery for shipments moving under a binding estimate. In the case of shipments moving under non-binding estimates, the bill of lading will not include a final calculation of charges because that cannot be determined until the shipment is weighed. However, the bill of lading must contain all relevant shipment information – except the shipment weight that will be determined after the shipment has been weighed and any unforeseen charges that occur in transit.
The bill of lading must include the following 14 elements:
- Florida Moving Systems, Inc. (Your mover) name and address, or the name and address of the mover issuing the bill of lading.
- The names and addresses of any other mover, when known, who will participate in the transportation of your shipment.
- The name, address, and telephone number of the office where you can contact the mover for matters relating to the transportation of the shipment.
- the form of payment your mover will accept at delivery. They payment information must be the same as entered on the estimate and order for service.
- When your mover transports your shipment under a collect-on-delivery basis, your name, address, and telephone number must be listed so the mover can notify you about the charges.
- For non-guaranteed service, the agreed-upon dates or period of time for pickup and delivery of the shipment.
- For guaranteed service, the dates for pickup and delivery and any penalty or Per Diem entitlements due you under the agreement.
- The actual date to pickup
- the identification number(s) of the vehicles(s) in which your mover loads your shipment.
- the terms and conditions for payment of the total charges including notice of any minimum charges.
- The maximum amount your mover will demand from you, based on the mover’s estimate, at the time of delivery for you to obtain possession of your shipment, when your mover transports under a collect-on-delivery basis.
- Evidence of any insurance coverage sold to or procured for you from an independent insurer, including the amount of the premium for such insurance.
- Each attachment to the bill of lading. Each attachment is an integral part of the bill of lading contract. If not provided to you elsewhere by the mover, the following three items must be added as an attachment:
- The binding or non-binding estimate
- The order for service
- The inventory
- The two options for liability of which you will select either: Option 1) Full (Replacement) Value Protection or Option 2) Waiver of full (Replacement) Value Protection.