Moving Your Boat Made Easy with The Following Advice
Transferring large items to your new home can prove to be a challenge but moving an actual boat can be downright problematic. Whether it’s on a trailer or stored at the docks, long distance relocations need some serious planning. Luckily, our professional crew make boat moving simple and straightforward. With the following advice, you’ll have no issues preparing your vessel for the trip to its new location.
Preparing for Boat Moving: What to Do Before the Transfer
- Drain the tank of gas. You can do so manually or by taking your vessel out for one last ride – which, of course, is way more enjoyable than the former option!
- Drain all the water from your boat. Then, pull the plug. Aside from the bilge, check the water systems and the pumps. Also, if you have an A/C unit, check to see if it has any water.
- Disconnect all cabling, such as speakers, the battery, and any other electrical connections.
- Remove everything from the boat to both make it lighter and ensure nothing falls off of it during transportation. This step also includes removable parts like ladders, windshields, and seats.
- Take down anything that sticks out like biminis or antennas.
- Latch all doors securely.
- Check with your insurance company about boat moving coverage.
Extra Considerations for Sailboats
Sailboats typically require extra considerations with boat moving. Here are a couple of questions to consider when planning your relocation.
Do you have a wood vessel?
Wood sailboats can sometimes have weak points. Thus, they may require the use of a custom cradle to remove it from water, as well as transport it to its new location.
Will you require a professional rigger to decommission and breakdown your vessel?
If you’re planning on shipping your vessel by land, then it is essential to take down the mast for the trip. This, of course, will prevent things like damage, breakage, and a great many other issues from occurring during transport. A professional boat rigger can help with this process should you not feel comfortable or experienced enough with decommissioning your vessel.
Find Expert Help with Florida Moving Systems
Need help with your upcoming move? At Florida Moving Systems, our industry experts will gladly custom create the ideal relocation package for you. Whether it’s a local, interstate or cross-country transfer, rest assured that your belongings are in capable, knowledgeable hands.